PAYE taxpayers are entitled to various tax credits and reliefs depending on their personal circumstances. Many of these credits are already taken into account when you receive your net wages.
However, some of these credits and reliefs need to be applied for each year such as relief for medical expenses.
The Revenue allows you four years to claim for refunds.
A convenient way to claim your credits is through MyAccount. With this system, you can apply for the most common credits, enter your medical expenses, apply for refunds and transfer credits between spouses. You can also view your tax record and correspondence with Revenue.
Popular Tax Credits and Reliefs
- Relief for medical expenses: doctors fees, prescription medication, consultants fees, nursing home fees and many other health expenses qualify, with the exception of routine dental and opthalmic expenses. You cannot claim for health expenses which were fully covered by your health insurer or a health authority etc.
- Relief for non-routine dental expenses: crowns, orthodontics, root canal and other non-routine dental treatments qualify for relief. Ensure your dentist completes Form Med 2 detailing the treatment and the cost.
- Relief for health insurance paid by employer: if your employer pays for your health insurance, you can claim a tax credit. See our blogpost for more information.
- Flat rate employment expenses: certain trades and professions can claim flat rate expenses which have been agreed between Revenue and employee representatives.
- Permanent health insurance: if you pay permanent health insurance (income continuance) you may be entitled to tax relief. See the Revenue guidelines for more information.
As always, if you have any queries of a general nature, please leave a comment below.
Image courtesy of SeniorLiving.Org